Security Fundamentals offers the opportunity to earn the CompTIA A+ certification, while also equipping you with knowledge of networking and security fundamental concepts through hands-on learning. With this course, you will be able to fill a wide range of early career technology jobs such as Security Analyst, Infrastructure Management, Desktop, IT Support, Driver Technician, among others. Additionally, at the conclusion of each course, a small group of learners will have the opportunity to engage in live cybersecurity tactical exercises at Metropolitan State University’s award-winning Cyber Range facility.
Tuition-Free Security Fundamentals Training
Begin your Security, Networking, or Desktop Support career learning the fundamentals through hands-on instruction covering core concepts and technologies.
Industry Recognized Certifications at No Cost
Unlock your career potential and showcase your job readiness to employers by earning the CompTIA A+ certification for free.
Free Technical Training In Only 15 Weeks
Learn 2 years of Desktop Support topics such as troubleshooting, hard drive technologies, and system administration in a fraction of the time.
Professional Development Growth Opportunities
Our Career Coaches prepare you with the tools to secure a role in the tech sector. Beyond your resume and LinkedIn profile, the curriculum tunes into your Pairin profile to develop your professional and leadership strengths.
You may qualify to become an ActivateWork IT Learner if you:
- Are aged 18 or older
- Have a High School diploma, equivalent, or higher
- Are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Live within commutable distance of the ActivateWork site
- Can read, write and speak in English
- Can attend classes full-time for the entire duration of the course
- Are able to start a full-time job after course completion
- Are ready to make an important commitment to building your future
*Women, youth, unemployed, underemployed and U.S. Veterans strongly encouraged to apply
1. Submit an Eligibility Form.
2. Admissions Overview: Once you submit an Eligibility Form, you’ll be directed to our Admissions Overview registration page. During this virtual webinar, you’ll learn more about our admissions process and next steps.
3. Assessments: Each training requires either an academic assessment, tech assessment, or both. Information will be provided in detail at the Admissions Overview.
4. Interview: Individuals who meet the assessment score requirements will be invited to attend a behavioral interview.
5. Background Check: ActivateWork believes technology can create opportunities and is committed to ensuring applicants are set up to succeed beyond the training program. Using a fair and efficient platform through Checkr, applicants will receive a secure link, provide the necessary virtual consents and complete the required screening information. Background check results will be provided to both the applicant and ActivateWork.
6. Offer Letter: The Admissions team will review assessment scores and interview results and offer seats to eligible candidates.
Please note, this application process is very competitive and not all applicants will be accepted for our limited slots.
Dates: 1/17/2023 to 4/25/2023
Length: 15 Weeks
Schedule: M-F 9am-4pm
Location: Hybrid; Online instruction plus face-to-face Professional Development days
CompTIA A+ offered
Connect to a Paid Apprenticeship
Q: What kind of jobs can I get after completing the IT Security Fundamentals course?
A: Cybersecurity experts are needed in a wide range of businesses, from smaller organizations to global companies. You might also seek employment as a vulnerability tester or security auditor for a company that provides digital security services. With the CompTIA A+ certification you will also be able to pursue any early career IT role such as Tech Support Representative, IT Specialist, etc. Starting salaries vary, but the average is approximately $42,000 per year.
Check out CyberSeek to learn more about Cybersecurity Pathway and the job titles and salaries that can be earned by building your career in this sector.
Q: What professional certifications can I earn in the Cybersecurity course?
A: Students have the opportunity to obtain the CompTIA A+ certification in the pre-apprenticeship course. During the apprenticeship, candidates have an opportunity to earn additional certifications including Network+ and Security+
How is the pre-apprenticeship different than the apprenticeship?
The pre-apprenticeship training course provides candidates with Day 1 skills and certifications they need to get started in the apprenticeship. They will have knowledge of cybersecurity concepts and are prepared to put them to use in a real-work context. The pre-apprenticeship is dedicated to full-time study for 15 weeks. This is unpaid training.
How is an apprenticeship different than an internship?
The key things that distinguish an apprenticeship from an internship are that they are longer-term, paid experiences that provide structured learning experiences and mentorship that lead to industry-recognized credentials and ideally, a full-time employment offer. Additionally, apprenticeships are not exclusive to college students but can count toward college credit.
Am I guaranteed placement into an apprenticeship?
While we cannot guarantee your placement into an apprenticeship, we have numerous employer partners interested in interviewing graduates of the ActivateWork pre-apprenticeship training for year-long apprenticeships. The employers also have a goal of hiring these apprentices into full-time roles upon the completion of the apprenticeship. If you are not hired for an apprenticeship, ActivateWork will continue to work with you to help you secure full-time employment after graduation.